Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Writer FAQ: How can your character's suprise you?

So I recently had this question asked of me by my brother. I was talking about how I couldn't believe that my characters had done something and he had expressed how he never understood the "character's surprising you thing". My mom also made a comment about how I could just make them do what I want.
So I felt the need to add this new topic to the plate along with Novel Updates, Character talks, and Book Reviews, Writer FAQ's.
So here's where the answer lies for the question, How can your characters surprise you?
The answer all lies withing character development. You get to a certain point in your writing where your characters really are their own people, who make their own decisions that you have to go with or face the wrath of breaking the character! As you write you realize that because that character is who they are, they have to do something, and even though that may not be what you had in mind, to do anything else wouldn't be being true to the character.
So that's pretty much the answer I could probably write more on it, but I should probably go to bed or something.
-Heather
P.S. Went to the book store today and got two books I haven't read yet, so reviews coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment