Thursday, May 14, 2009

Whale Talk: A Review

Title: Whale Talk
Author: Chris Crutcher
Rating: 9.5 out of 10
Where I Found It: Schulers
Summary: There's bad news and good news about the Cutter High School swim team. The bad news is that they don't have a pool. The good news is that only one of them can swim anyway.
A group of misfits brought together by T.J. Jones (the J is redundant), the Cutter All Night Mermen struggle to find their places in a school that has no place for them. T.J. is convinced that a varsity letter jacket - unattainable for most, exclusive, revered, the symbol (as far as T.J. is concerned) of all that is screwed up at Cutter High - will be an effective tool. He's right. He's also wrong.
Still, it's always the quest that counts. And the bus on which the Mermen travel to swim meets soon becomes the space where they gradually allow themselves to talk, to fit, to grow.
Together they'll fight for dignity in a world where tragedy and comedy dance side by side, when a moment's inattention can bring lifelong heartache, and where true acceptance is the only prescription for what ails us.
General Impression: Phenomenal, phenomenal, phenomenal. Addresses intense themes, has an amazing cast, amazing plot, amazing ending, overall amazing.
Though, I had a little trouble keeping some of the cast straight name wise, their actions always let me know who was talking.
I think part of the reason I liked this book so much was the connections I made to it. My school, like Cutter High, is a bit overly concerned with athletics (if the basketball team goes to state, we won't have school on Friday!) and not only did I connect with T.J.'s feelings about it, but for the first time really got to somewhat understand the other side of the issue.
This book deals with some deep themes: racism, feeling alone, abusive relationships, mental and physical handicaps, revenge, and death. These themes show up in many different forms throughout the story and weave together beautifully. The biggest theme I suppose deals with acceptance, how really, it's what everyone longs for, and how different people will go around to get it.
Who do I suggest this book to? High school age and up, mainly because it deals with some deep stuff plus there's some language and I'm tired of hearing middle-schoolers swearing all the time because they think it's cool and don't have the maturity to know that just because you know something doesn't mean you talk about it all the time. Plus the one middle-schooler who talked to me about the book made me want to rip my ears off.
-Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment